Sunday, January 23, 2011

The World was Created for Me!

(I've addressed this devotion to the Christian believer to have a deeper understanding of our purpose on earth.) 


"The World was Created for Me"   is a concept in Judaism. In it’s revelation we discover that we are each unique and significant to God. We are valuable because we simply exist. We don’t need to prove ourselves worthy because we are already worthy! God created us worthy to begin with!



But that's just on the Surface...
Many times our problem is that we don’t think we are worthy. Perhaps we had an upbringing where we were always judged or a relationship where we got the idea that we weren't "good".   We learned to think of ourselves as "bad".  When we think that way and don't acknowledge the worth that God placed on us, we are miserable. We spend our days constantly trying to prove that we are good enough to everyone else. But God created us worthy and in His plan He created the world for us! What a wonderful thing to know! We need to breathe that in. We need to embrace that thought and bring out our light and share it with others.  Indeed we are worthy, God made us that way!

Now someone might be thinking that this is wrong and against the biblical teaching that says all our righteousness is as filthy rags.  This doesn't take away the fact that God first created us worthy enough to have fellowship with Him.

You know the story... sin entered into Eden and man was cast out.  We needed to be redeemed.  We couldn't perform anything to bring us to righteousness. There isn't any deed that can be done to put us at that status.  Only by the precious blood of the Lord Jesus can we be redeemed and saved from our sinful ways.  Once we receive Him then we hopefully begin to grow...  spiritually grow...

So, what does it mean~"the world was created for me"

What more does it really mean? Is the world ours to consume without responsibility? The late Rav Noach Weinberg taught that the world having been created for me means it is “my responsibility”. How can that be?



What can I do for the world when I am such a tiny part of it? How can the vastness of the world’s problems such as the genocide in Darfur, poverty around the world, violence and death, hatred, and crumbling families be my responsibility?



The very fact that any of us think in these terms of how small we are shows that we recognize our responsibility. Usually the very thing that we do first is to excuse ourselves because we are so small in comparison to the problems of the world. What we forget to consider is that God is with us when we strive to make a difference. He is not only with us but for the believer He is in us. He is ready to empower us to care for His world when ever we finally realize our role!



But how?

Identifying the pain of others near us is the first step in taking responsibility for the world. Consider Moses, when the Torah says in Exodus 2:12 And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens… Moses left  Pharoah’s palace not only to see the pain of his brethren but to identify with their pain. After all, even though he had been raised in the palace, he still had his Hebrew heritage and the influence of his mother.  He knew he was Hebrew and he wanted to identify. This was the foundation that his leadership was built upon. When we start to identify with the pain of another, that is when we begin to understand our responsibility.



It isn’t enough to just identify with the pain. If someone is hungry we are to feed them. If they are thirsty we are to give them a drink.



Wait, we just jumped from talking about the world to talking about our neighbor! You may think that the problems and issues of the world are too big. We see the problems and our reaction is that it requires too much of us to make a difference. There are just too many needs. So we sometimes rationalize and instead of trying to help anyone, many people (even Christians) just give up and end up helping no one. Our thinking is wrong here! It isn’t about us… we must consider that we can’t lift a finger without God giving us the power to do it. Even if we just help our neighbor, it is God who is the giver. If we try to take on this responsibility alone, we are wrong on many levels. We need to ask our Heavenly Father to help not only those in our immediate reach but to give us the understanding, power and resources to affect the world. He can show us that by reaching out to those near us, we are truly effecting a change in their world and in the greater scheme of things the world.  But we have to be willing to move forward...  How do we begin?



Pray for Understanding

Back ground knowledge is important to understanding new concepts. If we don’t have any background for a new topic then learning will be limited. We need to have our spiritual senses open in order to understand. There are places in the Bible that says “having eyes but not seeing and having ears but not hearing”. These are the most simple of senses to relate to when trying to understand our role as Christians.



Sight and hearing are just two areas, but the sense of smell, taste and touch are just as important. How could we ever understand physical joy or pain if we have never experienced some sort of it? How could we begin to understand longing for the Lord’s presence if we have never sensed Him near us?  The scriptures are loaded with references related to our senses to help us understand. Have you ever read the psalms of David and felt his weakness when he was weary or felt his strength when he was trusting in the Lord? Have you noticed the smell of the oil that was poured out on Jesus’s feet or that he was wrapped in when prepared for burial? Could you taste the difference in the wine at the wedding where Jesus performed his first miracle? The scriptures reveal it but do you comprehend it?



Ask the Lord to reveal all aspects of the scripture for you to build your background knowledge so that when you encounter each new day, you’ll recognize the scripture and bring His Word to remembrance in your walk. (Understanding is knowledge but it is not wisdom. Keep that thought because I’ll return to it.)



Pray for Love, Power & Glory

There isn’t anything that you or I can do in our own power for the Kingdom of Christ. In order to honor Him most, we need His love, power and glory in our lives. Look how Jesus prayed for us in John 17.

Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2 as thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. 24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.



Does the love, power and glory strike you from His prayer? He prayed these things for you and me. He didn’t just pray for those who walked with him in ancient times. He prayed for us love, power and glory. Think about it…





Resources

We generally think about money and material possessions when we think of resources, but I’d like to suggest that we are confused as to the importance of these things. In our world today, we have been taught that the world revolves around money and things. To the Christian, we need to remember that our world revolves around Christ! We are not of this world but we are to be ambassadors for Chirst in a world that doesn’t know Him.



We have many resources. One resource is our head (mind) to be used to gain knowledge and wisdom. The knowledge is definitely the things we know but wisdom comes from listening to God. Another resource is our hearts to be purified by His blood that we might bring honor to His Name. When our head and our hearts are ready then we can begin to use the other resources more effectively.



He will tell us when and how to best use what He has given us. Another resource is our eyes to be used to see beyond what the surface shows that we might realize what He desires for us. Another resources is our hands to use to help others and create for the Kingdom of Heaven. Another resource is our feet to be used to take us quickly where He wills us to go. What about time? The clock that we view and the schedules we keep are all man-made and in order to live in this world we have had to adapt to them, but time really belongs to God!



Let’s pray that we understand more and more in the Spirit,. Let’s pray that we cultivate love, power and glory for His honor. Let’s pray that we learn how to use our resourses wisely namely: our time, heads, hearts, eyes, hands, and feet. When we do all these things then we will realize even more how the world belongs to us. It belongs to us to care for just as Jesus cared for us we are to care for the world’s people.



Sing praises to the Lord who reigns in Jerusalem. Tell the world about his unforgettable deeds. Psalm 9:10-12 (in Context)


1620

No comments: