Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The World

Philippians 1: 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.   He has given each of us a mission to carry out.  Will we obey it?



Think of this... since it’s winter and my kids are first graders, this stands out in importance. (Some of you will have to think hard to remember ever doing this activity.) Climb up a snowy hill. It’s hard work pulling a sled and sinking in the snow step by step. Remember you can’t stand up on the slick path, you have to climb where the snow hasn’t iced over. It is hard work, especially if the snow is deep. When you reach the top and look all around, it’s a marvelous sight. But the unknown trip down to the bottom has to take place to reach the top again. That ride can be scary. So down we go to do it all over again. It would seem that the scary ride down  is the goal to go again.  We, are like this as humans. Sometimes, its' not the achievement we strive for but often its the process for getting there.  Either the scary ride down or knowing that we will have to work to get up there again is the process.  But next time might even be better than before! Hmmm. 


There is a cycle of ascent and descent that is important for growing near to God, too. He wants us to seek Him and we may not always “feel” His presence because we are on this journey in a noisy and dark world. We are in the cycle, but when we reach the summit, we are nearer to Him than we were the last time, and so we go again and again.  Each time we get a little closer than before.  It's like the sled ride.  We go up and have to work to get there.  We must climb because we can't stay in one place, but as we climb the world can see us and yes, they are watching closely!  We go down fast and furious, and we know that we must climb up again.

I believe this to be God’s word for me:  He has revealed that when I am in His presence, I seldom think or do anything for others, because I am enjoying Him so much. But, He calls me out and tells me to go where His love doesn’t shine in the world. 


Sometimes the world is so dark and hateful that I can hardly stand it.  Still, He wants me to be an encourager to others and share His light to the world. When I shine for Him, others will be able to see better. They will see themselves as Christ does.  If they don’t know Christ as Lord, it is their free will to come to Him or not. If they already know Him as Lord, it is their free will whether to obey Him or not.

So when I go, I am to be as much like Christ as I can be. I am to be a light in the darkness of the world. The number of times I have been near to God will reveal just how bright His light shines within me.

My light becomes brighter when I get closer to God.  I can grow closer in many ways...  when I am in fellowship with other believers, in worship, in Bible reading and quiet study, in prayer, in giving and in service inside and outside the church. God has revealed to me that none of these places are optional.

He has promised to go with me down the scary ride, when I reach out to others and help to ease their physical and emotional discomforts, but more than that He is with me as I reach out to others to share His message of truth.  I can share Him word and/or deed.  He's revealed to me that showing Christ is just as important as preaching Him...
 
I am not perfect, but I am willing to be used by God.  There are times that I have experienced mocking and ridicule for my faith.  I'm learning that I  can endure because Christ endured.  I may not “feel” His presence all the time, but by allowing His spirit to reign within me, others might know Him and feel His presence.  That is what He wants of me.  

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Don't forget to turn off the automatic player at the bottom of the page, before trying to view this music video.   May God bless you and keep you and shine His face upon you that you may know who He really is...


No comments: